Thursday, April 15, 2010

Recycle Bras!


I just thought I would highlight a nice program I just came across:

The Bosom Buddies is a textile recycling company that specializes in recycling bras. They use them for girls and women who are experiencing difficult times in their lives and may be in need of a necessity such as a quality bra, which might be something that is unaffordable or unattainable in their situation. I read that recently they have been sending bras to women in Kenya who need them.

I think this is a great program because bras are one of those things that I have ended up buying a lot of throughout my life, only to end up not liking them weeks later, or not fitting in them not long after buying them due to weight gain, weight loss, pregnancy, etc. I know I have a plethora of sizes of nursing bras too that I have accumulated through my now almost 2 year breastfeeding career. And I always debate on donating them to thrift stores because I feel like not many people are willing to buy a used bra at a thrift store (I know it's silly, but there is just an ick factor to it for me), so they are probably just going to go to waste, possibly even ending up in a landfill eventually, and that's the last thing I want. I would rather send them to a charity which will be sure to get them into the hands of women who need and want them.

Obviously, The Bosom Buddies only accept clean bras which are in good condition. But if you are anything like me, you probably have a closet-full of these things that could use a good home.

So, what are you waiting for? Send 'em away.

For the record, I found out about this program from my daily emails from Smart2begreen, which I love!

1 comment: